Sunday, August 5, 2012

August... Summer waning

We rode our bikes up to the cabin and back this weekend.  The trip was 90 miles up (on Friday) but only 84 miles back today (Sunday).  It was a very manageable trip (about 7 hours, with a couple breaks).  In between the rides we fished, painted the outhouse, re-stained the deck chairs, mowed the lawn, cleared brush and had a roaring bonfire.  A very nice weekend...


Dave doesn't look that happy here, but he is.


That is an 18" Walleye!  I was skunked this weekend.  There's a first time for everything.  But it was sad!  The walleye was good eating though!  Thank you Dave!  (I did cook it up though!)


I realize that you all probably never focused on the biffy, but it was red before.  Here is the new and improved biffy!  I still need to replace the roof, but it is now matching the "big house!"


Here you can see my fine walkway too!  That was a project from a prior weekend.


We hope to have our new roof and the new roof over the old deck built next weekend.  We built the new deck the weekend before last and added the steps last weekend.  It is all starting to come along.  I doubt it will ever be done!  That is ok with me!


We had a beautiful sunset last night.  We also had a roaring (read, "almost dangerous") bonfire last night.  Very nice!  It was a cooler weekend but perfect for working!


We watched a storm come in.  We need the rain but it missed us last night.

We really look forward to having Chad and the gang up soon!  And every/anyone else!

4 comments:

  1. That second to last picture is beautiful! The place looks good. I have the month to decide but I'm debating staying around Chicago or going home/to the cabin for labor day.

    Also, I'm taking ideas for "big" trips I could take this year. Ideas? I have ~ 12 days of vacation saved up and I'd like to start using them before I cap out and stop earning time.

    I've thought about doing smaller trips (Nashville, San Francisco, Boston, other domestic options) and taking time off around Christmas or a ski trip. But taking a week or so off to go somewhere abroad intrigues me. Any ideas or recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave and I are going to San Francisco over Labor Day. Do you want to come too? I have business there on Thursday and Dave is flying out Thursday night. We are returning to the Cities on the Red Eye on Monday morning (middle of the night on Sunday). We are thinking we may go down to Big Sur for at least one day - with Mere and Tad if they can make it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That could be fun. I'll have to take a look at tickets and see how crazy they are. I'd be curious to see if Liz, Lauren, Elise, etc. and others I know in the area will be around or not too.

    ReplyDelete